It’s Sunday, the day a lot of us really go all out with cooking. Roasts. Lasagnas. Fancy desserts. Big pots of chili. Complicated recipes we’ve been wanting to try and finally have the time to attempt. Fall weekends are definitely a good time to spend a few hours in the kitchen making comfort foods (that would take too long to accomplish on a week night.)
All the same, isn’t it nice to have something quick and easy you can make without hassle, so you can enjoy some time outside, some time watching your favorite game, or just some time doing anything but making a kitchen mess?
This month, as I blog every day, I’ll be celebrating “Simple Sundays” with you. Each Sunday, I’ll share a recipe that only requires a few ingredients, is ridiculously easy to prepare, and knocks your socks off with taste.
This week, I bring you a family favorite, Easy Apple Dip. With just two ingredients, a package of cream cheese and a container of marshmallow creme (marshmallow fluff also works, but we have always been a creme family), you have a dip that gets raves.
Sure, you can add ingredients. Options include:
- 1 tsp of vanilla for a vanilla-ice cream reminiscent version
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon for an autumn, apples-and-cinnamon favorite
- A few tablespoons of peanut butter for your peanut butter lovers
- Caramel sauce (to taste) and some chopped nuts, for those who want a caramel apple dip
I typically add vanilla to mine, just because I am a vanilla fanatic, but it really doesn’t need anything to be great. Take a look—two ingredients + apple slices = perfection.
Other firm fruits work well with this dip, too—strawberries in the spring is a family favorite—but traditionally, we use apples or pears most of the year.
The only “trick” to this recipe is making sure the cream cheese is softened before you start—cold cream cheese will leave lumps in the finished product, no matter how much you whip it.
No, this isn’t particularly healthy. I never said it was. It is simple and delicious, and should be eaten, like all sweets, in moderation. I’m not going to lie, though—once you take a bite, you may want to eat the whole bowl.
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 container marshmallow creme or marshmallow fluff
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature.
- Place cream cheese and marshmallow whip in mixing bowl.
- Mix or whip until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Chill for 1-2 hours.
- Serve with sliced apples, or other firm fruits.
- Prior to chilling you can add any of these ingredients for four variations:1 tsp vanilla, 1½ tsp cinnamon, 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter, or caramel sauce (to taste) and chopped peanuts